Tuesday, September 05, 2006

 

"FALL" INTO SUCCESS!!!

The start of the new year posts challenges for our students with autism. Students have been away for the summer, either on vacation, at home, or at summer programs and "extended school year programs." In an effort to begin the class routines, here are some strategies that I incorporate in my classroom.

* Keep classroom layout the same - This allows my returning students to recognize their surroundings quickly. The bins, folders, and location of common materials and centers remain the same. Subtle changes are made, but keeping the environment consistent allows my returning students to get back on schedule quickly and reduces the stressors for everyone so I can begin training the new students effectively. I notice that when I receive a new student, and that student sees the others checking schedules, and following the routine effectively, the new student catches up quickly. Their classmates are the role models as they demonstrate the routine and expectations for the new student.
* Discuss, point, use visuals to address new changes, classmates, etc.- Every year I give my students advance information as to changes our class. I let them know verbally and through visuals that we have new students, and I remind them of class expectations. Remember to never, ever underestimate the abilities of our students. I find that many of my students understand what I want to convey when I use verbal, gestural, and visual prompts to communicate and it helps them recognize and accept changes in the class environment and structure.
*Discuss your expectations with new staff members- The earlier we inform our paras about our students and how we expect our paras to handle situations, meltdowns, etc. the better for all in the room. Schedules and routines are important for us too! If we are organized, and have a clear vision of our expectations and routines, we will get the most out of our valuable paras. Make certain that they understand their schedule, where they need to be and their individual responsibilties in assisting you to deliver the instructional program.Thank them in advance. Thank them often. THANK THEM ALWAYS!!! Most importantly, be their role models. Lead by example! We are all in this together!
*Review all goals and objectives with your classroom staff. There are many important things we teach that are in addition to specific goals and objectives on our IEP's. However, reviewing the goals and objectives will make sure that selected activities, worksheets, manipulatives etc., are directly relating to our students "priority educational needs". There is so much we can offer our students, that it is easy to deviate from our documented goals. One way I focus on my goals is to make a list of the goals for each of my students. As I prepare instructional materials, I refer to my list to make sure the activities are appropriate, and directly related to the PEN's.

I find that these strategies/tips are key in developing a positive successful environment for our students and ourselves. Hope it helps!
Have a great year!!

Ms. Fernandez

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?